Friday, November 15, 2013

How a teacher blog obsession is born.

I love teacher blogs.  Totally addicted, hands down, no questions, point blank period.  I am following close to 100 blogs maybe more by the time this post is done and written, and I don't see an end in sight.

Let me tell you where this journey started or practically spiraled out of control for the good of my classroom.

I currently live and teach in the Philippines.  I found out the first year teaching here that there is no such thing as a teacher store.  We've got malls and department stores galore, but a teacher specialty store was not the business.

 For the past 6 years I have been going back to the states and filling boxes called Balikbayan boxes.  Now before you try to pronounce that word, it basically means a Philippines citizen who has left their mother country to work in a foreign country.  In the states, especially places where the Filipino population is abundant this is a familiar term. For that reason, California is sprinkled with these Balikbayan shipping places.

So,  I would go back to Arizona pack my boxes filled with bulletin board borders, books, and basic teacher stuff that I could never find here, drive all the way over to San Diego, California and drop my boxes off where I would hope that I would see again in 3 months.  Just a note, when you send things to the Philippines and this may be the case for other Asian countries, you may not see those boxes again, and so far we have been lucky.

Back to how I got addicted to teacher blogs.  It all started with a little website called teacherspayteachers.com.  Yes, I had gone almost 5 years without knowing about this site.  When I did discover this little gem of a resource I pretty much cried out loud.  My husband was falling over himself trying to figure out why his wife was practically wailing on the floor.

Let me tell you, when you have gone 5 years without having teacher things at your fingertips and then you finally get something that brings the teacher supply world back into your grasp, you know what I was feeling at that moment.  Only teachers will be able to understand my obsession with all things school supplies, am I right?

So in a nutshell it started with finding this site, finding free stuff, purchasing some stuff, finding the links back to the blogs of the makers of all the cool stuff, and my addiction was born.

I now have won some stuff which means my addiction has now grown to giveaways.

I have to say that I appreciate everything that I have found both printable and nonprintable  on these sites.  I have learned so much from many of these teachers that I probably never would have been able to find on my own.

So thank you to the many teacher blogs both big and small for contributing to the constant learning and improvement of teachers and students around the world.

~Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment